Thursday, April 15, 2010

Tax Day and So Forth

Today is April 15, tax day. Tea Party protests are going on all over the country which is a good thing. However, I am presenting a more uplifting gathering which happened this past weekend: Founder's Day. Pioneers came to this area around 1853, early 1854. Here is part 1 of a 6-part series on one of Dripping Springs' founding citizens, The Dr. Pound Farmstead.

Founder's Day starts off with a parade on Friday nights, which I must admit I've never attended. Booths of every conceivable stripe line the streets on and off Mercer Street, Drippin's main drag. There is a carnival, a 5 K run benefiting the schools, cook off contests, washer pitching competition, bands, a Saturday night dance, talent show, and a chicken clucking contest (not sure what that is) -- just a small, country town, old-fashioned festival.

Twelve area churches came together for a combined Sunday worship service. It was held in the old Post Office parking lot. The fact that it was overcast, misty and cool did not damped the service. In fact, the cool weather was more preferable to my way of thinking than a hot sun beating down.


These sheared alpacas were on display. Don't you just love the sweet smiles?

As you can see, booths lined the street. What you cannot see is that the street curves to the left and booths were all the way to Highway 290 and about 2 blocks of booths were behind me. I picked up a jar of some homemade apple butter.

Love cactus.

The Big Drip ice cream stand was there and she sells hot dogs too. Actually, I own the little building behind this stand. It was built in 1940.



I love this old feed store. Don't know how old the building is but my family started coming to Dripping Springs from Houston in 1967 and this feed store looked old then.

Lone Star Gifts is housed in the oldest standing building in Drippin'. I think it was built sometime during the 1890's or early 1900's.



Here is another old building that I think is really neat. Most of the old buildings have rock walls about 12" thick which keeps the inside very cool during the hot summers. By the same token, the walls are equally cool during the winter and you almost freeze your rear end off until some heat is generated. Our winters are short though and cool during the summer is much more important than a little discomfort in cold weather.

I love the fact our little town still has its country feel even though it has become a hot spot to live for the Austin or San Antonio commuters. I have the old "close the gate after I arrive" attitude. :D

Until next time, God bless.

4 comments:

Donna said...

Thank you for the tour! I love those old buildings. The stories they could tell, LOL!

Lucy said...

Looks like a lot of fun! I think when we blog about our own places, we see them with fresh eyes too!

DJan said...

Dripping Springs looks like a place where you could grow up and know everybody. I am glad to have been able to visit there, even if it's a virtual visit. Maybe one day I'll actually get there in person. Till then, this was a wonderful treat, Lynn. Thank you.

SquirrelQueen said...

The Founders' Day celebration sounds like good old fashioned fun. Things like that are always better in a small town. Thanks for the tour Lynn.