Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Square Foot Gardening

I visited The Natural Gardener in Austin, Texas to pick up a few items as well as get some ideas. I've read and seen photos of square foot gardening which is a wonderful idea for people short on gardening space, for new gardeners, or for anyone who wants to section off a small area for any reason. I read where one lady did a 4 x 4 square foot garden filled with lettuce for her chickens to munch on during the winter months.



This appears to be a small, 4'x4' chicken coop that was converted into a garden.


As you look closely, you will see pattern of green strips set at 1 foot intervals with different plants in the center of the square. Anything will do for making the pattern - string, twine, wire, ribbon. Pretty neat, isn't it?

Until next time, God bless.

4 comments:

SquirrelQueen said...

What a great idea! I have a large yard but my garden space is somewhat small and within easy reach for the squirrels and birds. This would be perfect plus it's just down right cute.

DJan said...

This IS a great idea, and a way to keep the squirrels out. I agree with Judy that it's cute, too!

kate said...

Regarding your comment in reply to mine on your last post: I have a slightly larger version of the 4'x4' garden you mention in this post. Mine's 6'x14' and raised and it produces more than I could ever have imagined! I also tie off the small areas with twine so I can keep my head around everything I cram in there. I just wish I had tons and tons of space like you do, if I can produce what I did last year in only a tiny space I can only imagine what you can produce in your much larger plot! Have fun with your garden this year :) I've actually been to the Natural Gardener in Austin, it's a great place! thanks for the tips!

Lynn said...

Kate, I figured you were up on the square foot garden concept; but just in case, I wanted to pass along the info if you were not.

We have crummy soil but we added 6 yards of compost from the Natural Gardener. It is still a trial and error --- our soil is either thin with calichie or clay. We'll see how it works out this year and will add more compost during the winter. We planted 7 rows of corn in the big garden which, I understand, does not do well here. However, we wanted to try it.

The Natural Gardener also has an organic fertilizer which I just put on the veggies in my little garden and will use it in the big one. The tomatoes are in the little yard garden and I found 3 small ones this evening on the Roma bushes. And, I declare everything in that garden looks greener today than yesterday before I fertilized it. :D