Tuesday, January 12, 2010

What's For Dinner?

I have been breaking the habit of staying up into the wee hours of the night and there is a definite payoff. Take a look at this sunrise.


The clouds have been most unusual the past couple of weeks, don't you think?

Yesterday, I made a pot of cream of broccoli soup with broccoli from my own garden. Even hubby was impressed.

If you haven't grown broccoli, it is the easiest veggie I've found so far. Put it in the ground, water it, and up comes a beautiful head of broccoli. However, the draw back is only one head per plant. It would pay to grow from seed which I plan to do next year.

I combined a couple of recipes from Cooks.com. I like this site because it contains hundreds, perhaps thousands, of recipes and you do not have to register to get a recipe.

Here's the recipe.

Part 1
1 onion, chopped
2T butter
2 heads of broccoli
2 cans of chicken broth

Part 2
3 T butter
3 T flour
2 c milk
Salt, pepper
Cheese to taste

Lightly saute onion in butter, add broth and broccoli, cook until broccoli is soft. Puree the mixture and add to the sauce.

Sauce: Melt butter, mix in flour, add milk, salt, pepper, bring to a slow, slight boil until the mixture thickens. Add the pureed broccoli and cheese to taste.

Serve with crusty French baguette and a salad.

Add a cup of Pomegranate Green Tea for a drink and you are set.


Isn't this a lovely color?

Until next time, God bless.

5 comments:

Rae said...

Looks yummy. It sure would taste good on a cold night. Your cloud photo is really impressive - so different.

Al said...

You are very lucky that you can grow broccoli in your garden, we can't do it here, 'cos of the weather. We have to buy them in the nearest grocery stores and they came all the way from mountain provinces where weather is perfectly right for growing them. Ah, the soup very hot and organic, save some for me!

AK

SquirrelQueen said...

I need to break the habit too, I would love to see a sunrise. Yours are gorgeous.

I haven't made any in a long time but the cream of broccoli soup sounds delicious. The tea is a beautiful color and I'll bet it tastes good too.

Judy

Lillian Robinson said...

The sky and the soup make a great winter combo!

Daisy Soap Girl said...

Oh, oh I grew broccoli last season. You're right I only had 4 plants but it was so delicious. I even cooked the leaves. That a nice Republic of Teas pot. I just love tea pots.