Monday, January 31, 2011

Back at It

I don't know what happens when I go outside to do one little thing and then not come back into the house for 3 or more hours.  This morning I went out to measure a wire cable that broke on the hay hauler so hubby would know the correct length.  I didn't even want to be bothered with such a tiny chore.  It was too early and I barely had enough time to drink one cup of coffee before looking for a tape measure and slipping into the yellow boots.  Once the cable length was determined, hubby took off. 

We are expecting cold weather with the temperatures predicted in the teens.  After hubby drove off, I looked over at the well house.  Some holes needed to be plugged along the bottom.  During last year's coldest spell the main water line broke.  The well house was built around the well and rests on blocks of wood with rocks tucked around the bottom.  Also, since we have a dual water source -- well and rainwater collection -- the main line from the rainwater collection system goes through the well house.  We had a year to get the holes plugged but somehow something else was more important until today, that is.  Since I was already outside, I got the bags of crushed granite to fill in and around the holes and made sure the heat wire is operational.  A flip of a switch turns on both water pipe heaters.

After the well house was secure, I walked the wheel barrow over to the big garden.  Hmmm, why not start digging a trench around that garden so black plastic edging can installed to outline the garden area.  It'll be easier to mow or use a weedeater without destroying growing veggies and melons.  Again, hmmm, think I'll pull a couple of weeds while here along this row.  

I did about 10' on these two rows and the walk between.  I planted corn in these rows last year and was thinking of doing so this year when it occurred to me that something else should be here since corn is such a heavy feeder. 


So, on second thought, I need to weed the rows at the other end of the garden.  The black plastic over the two back rows  is solarizing (killing) the weeds, I hope.  Of course, the weeding in the first two rows is not wasted; but tomorrow or on the next mild day I'll tackled the rows just to the right and to the back of the dirt pile for corn.

Approximately 3-1/2 hours later I came in for brunch, consisting of fresh baked, sliced chicken on whole wheat with provolone cheese, tomatoes, olives, mayonnaise, Grey Poupon, Frito's, and a glass of skim milk.   BTW, I'm behind in weeding the big garden; it was scheduled to be completed by February 1.  I'm tired and off to take a nap.  :D 

Until next time,  God bless.


SquirrelQueen said...

I know what you mean, one thing always leads to another and before you know it half the day is gone.

After all that work you deserve a nap Lynn. I looked at your weather forecast for the coming week, brr! Stay warm!

DJan said...

Ohhh, that meal sounded incredible! This dieting thing makes me imagine and think about meals that I'm NOT eating. You got an awful lot done, Lynn.

Lynn said...

DJan, not to be tacky, but my experience at our age in dieting is horrible. I don't think sliced chicken breast with skin removed, 4tomato slices, 1 slice of provolone cheese, 3 olives, is all that "fattening." The Frito's and mayonnoise, yes, but not mustard. I had about 1/2 cup of Fiber One, 1/2 cut of a whole wheat cereal, a few walnut pieces, ground flax seeds, and skim milk for dinner.

If I'm following a diet, I've probably overeaten and that drives me wild to stay hungry day-after-day and lose maybe two pounds a month and that is with about 45 minutes or plus on the Nordic Track 4 to 5 times a week.

When following Weight Watchers, two boiled eggs, a piece of whole wheat toast and coffee with skim milk was 1/3 of the total amount of food for the day. I am not a happy camper when dieting. lol

The Japanese Redneck said...

Sounds like you were quite busy.

That's a healthy meal.