Monday, February 22, 2010

The Springs Are Running

Alleluia! The springs are filled with water.

We took a walk to the back of our property today and it is thrilling to see water in the creek, at last. Our creek has been dry for about two years, maybe longer.


Even though it is still February with snow being forecast for Wednesday, this wildflower is letting us know that Spring is just around the corner.


On the way down to the back, we looked over to see that our neighbor's pond is overflowing. The overflow runs towards our property, goes underground, then reappears to feed our creek. I first saw ripples in the pond, but before I could get the cap off the camera, two wet dogs came running up to me for a treat. The dogs know of a ravine where the fence does not go to the bottom, ducked under to our neighbor's property, found the water, took a swim, and returned to us just as we could see the pond.

High banks are on both sides of the creek. You cannot see the creek as you walk towards it, but we heard the water gurgling!


Looking down the creek.

I'm standing in line with the first photo but had walked up the hillside. We do not have the natural beauty that so many areas of the country has so it is a matter of acquiring a taste, or appreciation if you will, for our scenery. But, you know, it is Texas and it is ours. I am so grateful that we've had the opportunity to live outside a city. I thank God everyday for my good fortune.

When you see those clumps of grass, you know water is nearby, either above ground somewhere close or water is running underground.



Found a good deer track impression. Pay attention to the little pebbles because those sit atop solid sheets of rock or caliche which makes for paying close attention to where one steps when walking down or up the hillside.

Our house sits on top of a hill. Hubby is making his way up the first ledge, the steepest, and I am standing on the second one.


These are the next three ledges with a total of ten ledges from the bottom of the property to where our house stands.

It was a great walk. Hubby has been sick for a little over a week so walking back up from the creek is our test as to how he is recovering. lol We really should do this walk at least three or four times a week. It gets you into shape. The main reason we do not is we have to be extra careful in the walk down because it is so slippery. More than once our shoes have skidded on the pebbles only to land on our bottoms. Overall, though, the sun is out and the air very cool. I feel so rejuvenated.

Until next time, God bless.

4 comments:

DJan said...

It's much more hilly than I think of Texas being. My family all live in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, and I don't remember seeing anything like this. Lovely purple flower, Lynn!

Donna said...

What a wonderful walk. I think I'm out of breath now, LOL.

Lillian Robinson said...

I know what you mean about the scenery... There are probably lots prettier pieces of land around here, but I love my little bit o' heaven!

That walk looks like good exercise!

SquirrelQueen said...

Wow, look at all that water. Every thing looks so different from this past summer.

I love the area where you are walking. It does look like a great place to get exercise and see the beauty of nature.

Glad to hear you hubby is feeling better.