Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas Day

Whew! Dinner's done, china and silver washed and returned to their designated places, pots and pans washed, dried and put up. Oops, forgot to take a picture of the table -- next year. Speaking of next year, if the boys do not come, we are going to ask some people who are alone for Christmas dinner. Too many things were going on for us to think about it.

I can now get back to photographing the fused glass pendants, trays, etc., and start working on my Plum Wild Glassworks website. I also need to start testing various fusing techniques to make the back splash for the front bathroom. We changed the vanity top for a Silestone top, added a vessel sink, and a new faucet. We did the same for the master bath but had a matching back splash made for that bathroom. I was a little intimidated by the thought of doing a back splash for both baths; as it is, I have 60 inches for the front bath and had I added the master bath it be an extra 12 feet.

After the back splash, I need to paint and probably will have to either buy or make a new shower curtain. I made the curtain that is now in that bath and would like to use it if I can find a coordinating material to add a valance which will go to the ceiling. We been remodeling our house over the last five years with the baths being the last major upgrade. We stripped the wall paper off the walls, textured, did a faux finish, replaced carpet with tile in most of the house, and then re-carpeted the bedrooms, put granite counter tops in the kitchen and on an eating bar, new drapes, and had an antique leaf pine mantel made.

I've always loved my house -- I was the general contractor for it -- but love it more. While I knew nothing about building, I do have exceptional organizational skills. The head carpenter was 72 years old and had been a carpenter for 50 years so he made sure those building details were in order. They never missed a day for lack of materials at a time when there was a building boom here in Central Texas; and when the cabinet maker tanked, he took up the slack to finish the cabinets. The cabinet doors are not as fancy as I hoped, but the doors are nice and they work fine. :D Who knows, I may get a bug for new cabinet doors! First I'm going to change out the knobs and pulls...may even do fused glass ones.

Christmas has come and is almost gone. I'm looking forward to what the new year will bring.

No comments: