Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Christmas Christmas Eve

The past few weeks have been extremely busy what with the little craft show done on December 6, my oldest son preparing to leave for Iraq for the next fourteen months, checkup appointments with doctors, Christmas parties, and lastly decorating for Christmas.






As I write I'm listening to a truly beautiful album, A Celtic Christmas, performed by The Festive Players. I bought two Christmas CDs last year; the first one was awful and I did not get around to opening this one. Wow. I should have! It's my kind of music, traditional instrumental renditions of Christmas music, not the contemporary sounds. lol


Christmas on Mercer St., December 6, 2008
The craft show went well. The weather was outstanding, we had a fairly good crowd, and, of course, sharing the booth with a friend made for a delightful day. Her sister joined us in our little venture, along with my friend's daughters. I bought seven of her decorated Christmas stockings; pictures to follow. A good friend of mine came by and rearranged my table much to my delight. She has the gift of decorating and made a so-so table have a little pizazz. I should gotten closer when taking a picture; however, I made mental notes on what she did. Next time it'll look much better.



Here are the beautiful stockings:



Fireplace at the Ranch


















Just wish I could zoom in a little closer to show the stocking details. My dear friend did a fabulous job. We didn't have time to get the names on each stocking but that is on the to-do list for next year. The nutcrackers are wonderful, but so too are the Christmas tree stockings.


I've been working on my camera skills to start posting jewelry pieces and various other glass fusings. But, I'm not there yet! I have a Nikon Coolpix 4300 digital camera which I bought about 5 years ago. My oldest son put me on to what kind of light to use when photographing objects. However, I did a little research today and found some accessories I wanted when I first purchased the camera. Of course, all technology is obsolete a day after the purchase so I got the items at terrific discounts since it has been at least five years. There is a method in my madness after all. I also ran across a tipster that told me how to use the photo editing software to accomplish what needs to be done before posting on the web. The accessories should arrive by New Years. Here is a link to one of the retailers that has all kinds of memory, compact flash cards, etc., Memory Suppliers, http://www.memorysuppliers.com/.


While standing in the checkout line at the grocery store, a man in front of me gave me the website address for the Palmer Drought Index, NOAA. This index shows the entire country and we, here in Central Texas, are in what is above an "extreme" drought to "unusual drought conditions. There may be one other small area in the US designated as unusual drought conditions. It is so bad that our top soil is powdery. We've had an unusually cool weather off and on since the middle of October but NO rain. This area is in serious trouble.


Oh, well, it is not like we've not experienced this severe a drought before.....I keep thinking of the Dust Bowl of the 1930's. I wasn't around to see it but I've read and heard about it from my parents and my husband. His family (eight total, six kids and his parents) left the Texas Panhandle in a 1934 Ford for Oregon in 1937 to escape the drought. If you've never seen that model of Ford, look it up. My husband just announced to me that "they are not very wide."


Until the next time...God Bless and Merry Christmas.































































































































































































No comments: