Tuesday, August 3, 2010

More Texas Sculpture II

Here are three artist interpretations of our famous Texas Longhorn.


While I cannot say for sure, this artist may have used barbed wire then torched the "barb."  Whether barbed wire was used or not, think of the hours it took to lay one strand of wire at a time.


You are greeted by this sculpture when you drive into The Old Oaks Ranch Fiber Arts Center, located on Old Oaks Ranch Road off RR 12 between Dripping Springs and Wimberley, TX.  Last November, I did a series on the Fiber Arts Center when I wove scarves as Christmas presents for my son and daughter-in-law.  If interested, go here, here, here, or here.




Again, I'm guessing but it looks as if the artist used automobile and/or motorcycle parts for this Longhorn.  The sculpture is located on Highway 290 W between Johnson City and Fredericksburg, Texas.  Its pretty impressive when the sun bounces off the chrome. 


The artist used locks, wrenches, bells, gears, and all kinds of objects for this Longhorn which is located at the Lady Bird Jophnson Wildflower Center in Austin, TX.

I'm fascinated with sculpture where artists use a collage of materials in their creations.  My fascination is probably because when I see an object, I see an object, but the artist sees a sculpture.  :D

Until next time, God bless.

4 comments:

DJan said...

I love the second one, with all that chrome, but you're right: the artist sees art where I see junk! I wish I had that eye...

The JR said...

I have a horse sculpture picture saved somewhere on my computer that is similar to #2 and #3.

How creative!

Al said...

Oh wow! Very artistically executed and my favorite is the second one, reminds me of the film "Transformers"!

SquirrelQueen said...

Those are great, the first one does look like it was made from barbed wire. My favorite is the one from auto parts, I love all that chrome. Like you I wish I had an eye for such creations.