Saturday, October 30, 2010

Homemade Yogurt

I've been eating plain yogurt with a teaspoon of cinnamon just about every day for the past few months.  Cinnamon is reported to help regulate blood sugar; and since I'm hypoglycemic, mixing cinnamon with yogurt a good way to get it.  Eating yogurt every day prompted me to get a yogurt maker.


I chose this machine because it comes with seven glass jars with lids.


The lids are neat.  The top moves to the day of the month so you can keep track of when the yogurt was made. 


Yogurt is safe to eat up to 10 days from the date it was made.

Making yogurt is very easy.  You bring milk to boiling, boil for about 2 minutes, then cool down to 110 degrees before adding in either a container of yogurt or freeze-dried yogurt starter and any other additions such as fruit.  You put the jars without lids in the yogurt maker for up to 10 hours, depending upon the fat content in the milk.  I used skim milk and the "cook" time was ten hours.  Milk with higher fat content takes less time.  Hmmm, go figure.  :D  Oh, yes, there is a compartment in the maker's top where the lids are kept until needed.




Here's this morning's breakfast.  You'll see as the weeks have progressed, I add a little more to the just plain yogurt and cinnamon.  For me, the consistency of the homemade yogurt is nicer than that bought at the grocery.  It mixes easier.  I've only made one batch; the second batch will be made within the next day or so. I'm using one percent milk and then on the third batch use two percent milk.  I'm happy with the skim but thought I'd experiment.  This bowl has strawberries, raspberries, a few walnuts, about 1/4 cup of organic cereal, a squirt or two of agavasweet, yogurt, and, of course, cinnamon.  Makes for a great breakfast loaded with phytochemicals.

If you love yogurt, take a look at making your own. 

Until next time, God bless.




6 comments:

DJan said...

That looks fantastic, Lynn. I also think homemade is tastier and has better texture, but I've gotten out of the habit of eating it. Maybe I'll take it up again...

Charlene said...

I eat a carton of yogurt every day with my coffee early. The yogurt is $.50 each store brand. That's $15 a month, so maybe it would be smart to make my own.

Lynn said...

Charlene, I'm paying about 80 cents a carton, maybe a dollar. I have been getting the "Greek" kind so it may be a little more than say a Dannon plain. Nevertheless, I did consider machine cost against daily consumption. I think the jars are 6 oz. The recipe calls for 7 jars of milk plus one carton of yogurt to make a batch. Figured in a couple of months, maybe 3, I'd be on the savings side. :D Besides, I really like the consistency better.

Christina, Sweden said...

I eat yoghurt every morning to but i never make my ow. i do make my own musli and I usually put cinnamon in the mixture. Smart lids on the yars!

Rambling Woods said...

I would like to try that as I would rather eat that than the kind at the store....

The JR said...

Now that's a neat contraption!

Cool making your own.