Thursday, September 16, 2010

Houston & A Walk Down Memory Lane

I love the way things seem to fall into place without a particular plan.  I was just going down to Houston to spend some time with my oldest and dearest friend.  We ran around Friday to do some shopping.  In the meantime, Patty, my dearest friend, invited her daughter, Julie, to go with us to lunch on Saturday.   Julie's middle name is the same as mine; Patty honored me by giving her my name.  Anyway, Julie is young and up on all the neat places to eat, etc.  Children definitely keep you updated on the latest trends.  Without them, we, perhaps I should say I,  have a tendency to stay in our old routines and habits.  Julie suggested going to The Village area around Rice University which is way across town from the Lake Houston area where Patty and her daughter live.  Suddenly I perked up because those were my old stomping grounds and hadn't been there since the 1960's.

First we went to the Backstreet Cafe, located in an old house on the edge of River Oaks, for brunch.


It was soooooooo Houston.  I loved it and the food was scrumptious.  Patty had a lobster sandwich, Julie had shrimp and grits, and I had migas -- ok, I'm not very adventurous when it comes to food.   The food presentation was lovely; but wouldn't you know it,  I was so hungry that I forgot to photograph the food.

After brunch we went to The Village.  Parking was always difficult, but in the fifty years since I'd been there, a parking garage was built.  :D  The first shop we came to was Furniture with a Soul where I found this jewel.


I did not buy it but may end up ordering it online.  I have to find a place for it first; however, I love turquoise.  I need something turquoise on my wall somewhere. 



When I saw this sign it brought back so many memories of hopping the bus to get The Village, the movies I'd seen there -- admission for adults $0.25, $0.05 for children, my elementary school, and the ambiance of the area where I lived for 9 years.


I haven't the faintest idea why this sculpture was featured in the common because certainly no wild hogs were running around when I lived there. 

 

We stopped at The Chocolate Bar for dessert. 



Thought this was kind of neat hanging on the wall.




I allowed myself this one indulgence.  I just know I looked ten years younger after eating it because the sign promised me that chocolate is anti-aging.  :D


After shopping at The Village where I bought the cutest outfit for therapy dog visits, we drove to the West University Corner Bakery to sample some food for an upcoming baby shower Julie is giving.  I only took one bite.


I love the look of these tiny tiles.

The next blog entry will be The Old Neighborhood.  Until then, God bless.


3 comments:

DJan said...

What a wonderful trip to Houston! I've only been there in the medical area when my mom was getting a quadruple bypass years ago. This was excellent and I love your pictures. That turquoise cabinet is gorgeous! I hope you do buy it.

The JR said...

How much fun! Luv exploring with people who know where to go!

Great pictures.

SquirrelQueen said...

That looks and sounds like a great way to spend a day. I like the looks of the Backstreet Cafe, places like that seem to always have wonderful food. I love that turquoise cabinet, I'm not sure if I could have left it behind.